Sunday, August 11, 2013

Day 11: Favorite Treat

HI! Sorry I'm so late tonight... it was a busy day. I'm imagining this is how it's going to be the next week or so with my mother-in-law in town. It's okay!

My favorite treat. SO DIFFICULT.
Here's the thing. I absolutely love donuts to no end. I could eat donuts with everything. Plain glazed donuts are my favorite but I'll eat the other kinds too. I tried my hand at baked glazed donuts once and they turned out pretty well except that I used too much yeast and mixed it at the wrong time... but we still ate them!

My favorite thing to make as a treat, though would have to be chocolate chip cookies.
Here is my favorite recipe:

Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
barely adapted from Anna Olson, Food Network Canada

Ingredients: 
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 c. all purpose flour 
2 tsp. cornstarch 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.

3.  Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks.

4.  Using a standard-sized cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop dough onto a prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges.  (The tops will not brown, but do NOT cook longer than ten minutes.)

5.  Let cool, on the sheet, on a wire rack for five minutes.  Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.  Try not to eat them all.


But, here's a thing too.
Next time you need a quick and easy cupcake recipe, just take any box of any flavor of cake mix and take 1 can of room-temperature (or not, it just makes it easier to stir and rise a little better) cola or sprite or root beer or cream soda or whatever, just make it carbonated. Works like a charm and they're delicious.

love, Ellen

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmm...definitely gunna try these cookies & the carbonated cupcakes! :-)

    Here's my fave: http://elliehuey.tumblr.com/post/58110476805/why-is-the-rum-gone

    ReplyDelete