Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 28: Nice

One time, while waiting in line to check out at Target, we were kind of in a rush. We loaded our things on the belt and waited as the lady in front of us finished her purchase. She received her receipt and turned around and handed us a gift card and, in our rush, merely said thank you and went on our way.
Turns out, that gift card had $20 dollars on it and, little to that lady's knowledge, we were already low on cash because we were about to get married.

I'm so grateful for people like that who are so generous and kind to complete strangers. I hope that I can be one of those people some day.

The other day at work, there was a guy at the drive through that I was helping who you could tell was having a hard day. What looked like his father was sitting in the passenger seat, slumped over, and looking very close to death. I wanted so badly to just say "Anything on me" but I had just started at that job and I didn't know my boss's policies of donut-giving and I was really low on cash, so I secretly gave him a free donut with the intent on paying for it at the end of my shift.

I went on with my day and it was just me and the boss in the shop and he told me that it was perfectly okay to give away free donuts toward the end of the shift because I would throw them away anyway. It was a relief but at the same time, I wish I could have done more for that guy.

It's one small step toward becoming a more kind and generous person.
There was a sign at our wedding that looked very similar to this one:


(Thanks, Tiffany!)

True dat.
love, Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment