Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8: Advised

One of my best friends from high school once gave me some great advice and it's stuck with me for quite a while. She wrote me a letter and gave it to me on the last day of school and I still read it often.
Here's a quote from it:

"1. THE OPPORTUNITY TRAIN IS VERY IMPORTANT. Always jump on that train my dear. I know, a lot of times the train can be very scary and intimidating. In all actuality, the train is the least intimidating thing in existence."

I remember when I was first interested in Sean, I jumped on so many opportunity trains to get to know him better. There was one train that just stopped and waited for me to get on for so long and I finally just did it. I walked across the room after a ward activity and talked to the guy I had a huge crush on and then I invited him to go play a game at a friend's house. That train has been the best one of my whole life and I am thankful every day that I boarded and never have to get off.
Thank you, Lexi. Your advice has propelled me right into my future.

Right now, in my life, I'm looking for a new job and Sean and I are looking for a new home closer to my parents. There are so many opportunity trains just waiting for me to board and it really is scary. It's been 2 years since I've had a job interview and the jobs I'm looking at most likely aren't looking for someone as young and inexperienced as I am, but I've got to start somewhere and if I don't apply and try, how am I supposed to start?

Anyway, if you're having a hard time jumping on that train, just do it. What have you got to lose? When those opportunity trains arrive, get on. They might kick you back off, but another train that might be going in the direction you need could be right behind it. Just do it.

love, Ellen.

No comments:

Post a Comment